From mid-December through the end of January, the sleepy beach towns that make up the Punta Del Este area on the Uruguayan coastline (Punta del Este, La Barra, Manantiales and José Ignacio) transform into havens for travelers from Argentina, Brasil and around the world who wish to relish in the height of South America’s summer. Shutters are removed from designer homes and cottages, beachside bars and restaurants open their doors and party venues get into full swing. Summer 2011 will be no different, and we are here to help you prepare!
Do you have a favorite place in Punta del Este? Feel free to share in the comments below!
Where to stay:
• Punta del Este has developed into a glamorous resort town with wide boulevards, long beaches and high-rise buildings. There is plenty to do in Punta, from theatre trips to an artisan fair, several bars and clubs, good restaurants and all the useful conveniences of a city – which are harder to find further up the coast.
• Only a few years ago, José Ignacio was a simple fishing village. Today the vibe is laid back, boho chic even during the high-season. There are some fantastic houses in the village and its surrounding areas, with architecture that is internationally acclaimed. Be aware, that with only a couple of taxis in the area it is important to rent a car to be able to move freely.
• La Barra is a sizable town with a main strip that transforms at high season into a catwalk for flashy cars and trendsetters. It hosts a wide assortment of eateries, the busiest bars and best nightclubs in the area, with the beautiful crowd coming from José Ignacio and La Punta to get their party on. It also has a rustic charm, and one can potter down the strip and gander at the antiques and oddities for sale or see some art at one of the galleries. La Barra is family friendly and practical thanks to the mix of activities and services on your doorstep, and offers everything from sophisticated apartments to huge villas.
• Located between La Barra and José Ignacio, Manantiales offers proximity to the activities and services of La Barra with a bit more tranquility. This area is home to the famous Bikini Beach, which becomes the set for Argentine and international TV shows in January and a young, fun crowd saunters about once they have emerged from the night before (around 3:30). Other nearby features include the popular La Mantra casino and Montoya beach, which offers splendid surf and jet skis aplenty.
Where to go:
Looking for the best place to dine or where you’ll see the beautiful people? Our Destination Guide for Punta del Este is for you! There, you will find a list of handpicked restaurants, bars and clubs for each beach town from the trusted Oasis Collections team, who have years of experience living in and traveling around the country.
What to do:
The Summer in Punta is always packed with activities, so we recommend that you reserve a spot for the below Oasis-approved happenings now. Another great resource for event listings is this list pulled together by our friends at PuntadelEste.com.
• December 29, 2011 – January 8, 2012: The Clubhouse: Punta at Casa My Way. The pop-up version of our premiere member’s only club will be hosting events, parties and beach service. True to our love of great design, The Clubhouse: Punta was designed by renowned Chilean architect Mathias Klotz and features decor by Patricia Torres. You can see additional images and more information here
• January 3, 2012: International DJ David Guetta will be spinning for the first time in Uruguay at El Jagüel starting at 11:00pm. You can purchase tickets here or email ask_us@oasiscollections for VIP info
• January 5 – January 8, 2012: In its 16th year, the Festival Internacional de Jazz returns to Punta del Este. You can find performance details here
Still need a rental?
Punta del Este books up fast, but we have the following two beautiful properties still available! To book, please contact: Katharine@oasiscollections.com
This elegant three bedroom beachfront home, is located just outside of José Ignacio on a wide open stretch of Uruguayan coastline. The open living room/kitchen/dining area features large, ocean-facing windows, hardwood floors, and a comfortable seating area. The extensive outdoor area includes a front deck with a swimming pool and a large terrace overlooking the beach, perfect for a summer barbecue.
The master suite and two standard rooms are available to rent individually from January 3 – January 15 and the whole house from January 8 – 15.
This gorgeous home, awash in white, features a loft style master bedroom, two standard rooms and a large living/dining area. The infinity pool is a standout feature, along with the spacious deck that is outfitted with outdoor furniture, beach chairs and a BBQ. Located in the Arenas of José Ignacio – just a few minutes down the beach from the village – this property is the perfect place for you and family or friends to spend your beach vacation.
The rooms are available to rent individually or as a whole house from January 3 – 8 and the whole house is available January 8 – 15.Punta del Este, Uruguay